Each week we'll be presenting another part of Joe's revolutionary coaching programme, that helped guide David Palmer and John White to the top of the game.
The Program is applicable to all sports, and represents an invaluable resource for any coaches who have the foresight,
the inspiration, and the commitment to make it work for them.
GOAL SETTING AS PERFORMED
BY DAVID PALMER
David set his Goals on an ever changing basis, and early in the piece, like most Athletes he failed to achieve them for many and various reasons. It is time for all of you readers to recognize that fact, and re-invent your own Goals.
Goal setting is a vital skill that requires constant change. When we set Goals we develop direction, channel energy, and enhance our performance in a shorter period of time.
People do not set Goals because of the following points:
1. The importance of Goal Setting is not understood.
2. They do not know how.
3. Fear of Ridicule. They set a Goal, and listen to others who say that it is not achievable. (Remember that David set his Goals, and was informed by the AIS Coaches that he would never make the top 50 in the World. That has received a lot of publicity, but it is a serious example of this point).
4. Fear of Failure. Failure is an important component of achievement. It is the only way that you learn the lessons necessary for achievement.
Goals can be broken down into three categories:
1. Family and personal Goals for love and pleasure.
2. Business and Sporting Goals to enable financial security.
3. Self improvement Goals.
Goals must be realistic but challenging, written in concise detail, within a certain time frame with a deadline set for attaining a major Goal. David ultimately achieved his too quickly, and was not ready to handle it. Another valuable lesson for us.
His next Goals is to regain his no. 1 ranking in the World. There must always be absolute belief and ability to accomplish these Goals. Let us follow the 10 steps that David Palmer lists in his Goal Setting.
David sets Goals for all of these areas.
You must do the same. That attention to detail is one of the reasons why
98% of all Elite Athletes fail to achieve their full potential. It is a
reason that you are failing. Attend to it now.