Parke's Revival
Continues in Boston ...

Colleen Turner reports

Main draw action continued today with four high-quality matches kicking off action at Boston's Symphony Hall. Three of the top four seeds came safely through to the quarter-finals, as world number one Peter Nicol  won five games, number three Thierry Lincou fell in five to a rejuvenated Simon Parke.

Ricketts "Nicol'd" and Dime'd
The night began with a replay of the quarterfinals match up from this August's Mamut English Open ... Peter Nicol prevailed then and again now, but only just.

Anthony Ricketts went up 10-5 in the first game, chasing loose balls and delivering solid points to take it 11-8 in just 14 minutes. If one thought Nicol was on autopilot in the first game, that idea was quickly dispelled when the world number one went up 6-0 before taking the second game 11-7 in just 10 minutes.

Feeling a little nauseous at the start of the third game, Ricketts asked for a moment, but the refs would have none of it and with a "cheers" to the crowd, he swallowed his pride (literally) before going down 11-5. In game four, Nicol hit a number of down shots, letting Ricketts climb to an 8-6 lead before succumbing 11-9 and tying the match 2-all.

Aggressive play on both men's part brought the fifth and final game to 8-all when Nicol reminded everyone why he's number one and took the match cleanly.

Post match he shared, "Anthony was a little tired in the third, but that was certainly not the case in the fourth. So, I collected myself ... got my game going and now I'm moving forward. The down times can be tough, but I feel good now and I'm ready for the quarterfinals [against Nick Matthew]."

No Day at the beach for Barker

In the second match of the evening, number 2-ranked Lee Beachill barely broke a sweat through games one and two, sporting terrific length, finesse and accuracy. Errors on Peter Barker's part cost him numerous strokes and allowed Beachill to kick back and wait for the wins.

However, in game three, six strokes against Beachill and several brilliant points by Barker gave him his only win of the evening - a solid 11-6 victory.

Game four saw the machine-like Beachill force his fellow countryman to scramble about the court, quickly dispatching the qualifier-who-could in just 10 minutes.

Signing autographs in the player's area post match, Beachill shared: "I'm playing well and that was an ideal match to begin the tournament. Pete was strong and made me work, but overall, I'm pleased with my performance and the outcome."

Beachill now faces Graham Ryding, who yesterday ousted world champion Amr Shabana.

Palmer tops Willstrop

Young Mr. James Willstrop started off strong in the first game of the match, going up 5-3 and showing promise in his US Open debut. But the wizened David Palmer of Australia would not be denied. He took the game 11-6 in but 16

A couple of tough rallies in the second game brought the score to 9-all, but a shot to the tin by Willstrop and an amazing drop by Palmer gave the Aussie a win and a two games to love lead.

The fleet of foot Palmer wasted little time in the third and final game, winning 11-5 in a speedy seven minutes.

Post match he noted: "I'm happy to get through to the quarterfinals. James and Anthony [Ricketts] are probably the toughest draws, so to best him feels good." He continued: "I'm still adjusting to the new 11-point scoring, but my game plan is solid and obviously working for me."

In a quick chat with Willstrop, the disappointed Brit declared "I wanted to play better ... I know I can play better, but no worries, I'll be back next year."

Palmer meets fellow-aussie Dan Jenson tomorrow.

Parke Drives Lincou Out

The evening's longest match, at 66 minutes, was by far the most riveting and offered the biggest upset. Simon Parke, currently ranked 24th, defeated world number three, Thierry Lincou, in a very interesting competition.

In the first game, a shot to the tin at 9-all gave Lincou the serve. He went on to win the game and took the lead one love. Parke came into the second looking strong. He stayed with Lincou point-for-point when at 9-all an unintentional elbow to the ribs delayed the game for around five minutes. The injury may have broken Lincou's stride, but not his spirit as he went on to take the game 11-10 (4-2) in extra point play.

At that point the midnight hour was fast approaching and Simon Parke caught his second wind. The 1999 U.S. Open champ came out in overdrive and played exceedingly well, taking the third game 11-3. A broken string when he was up 6-5 didn't faze Parke in game four, when the qualifier-who-could went on to win 11-7 and tie things up at two games all.

Game five started out with a couple of impressive rallies before Parke shot ahead quickly via some masterful shots and commanding control of the T. The first two games took 42 minutes, while Parke's cruise back to tie things up and claim victory was accomplished in just 24.

Following the match, Parke enthused, "Those first two games were very close, but I still had a lot in me. I'm pumped up and am looking forward to tomorrow's match against Joe [Kneipp]."

En Franšais


[1] Peter Nicol (Eng) bt
Anthony Ricketts (Aus)
8-11, 11-7, 11-5, 9-11, 11-9 (55m)

[2] Lee Beachill (Eng) bt
[Q]  Peter Barker (Eng)
11-4, 11-6, 5-11, 11-4 (47m)

[4] David Palmer (Aus) bt
James Willstrop (Eng)
11-6, 11-9, 11-5 (39m)

[Q] Simon Parke (Eng)
Thierry Lincou (Fra)
9-11, 10-11 (2-4), 11-3, 11-7,
 11-1 (66m)


Thierry Lincou
on his defeat
Simon fully deserved his
victory, he showed his
true qualities as a fighter ..."









Jenson & Ryding
In Boston Upsets ...

Colleen Turner reports

Main draw action began today with four high-quality matches at the Murr Center and will finish up tomorrow at Symphony Hall when the top four seeds enter the arena.

Matthew ends Lavigne's
Symphony Hall dreams

Tonight's action began with Nick Matthew convincingly taking game one 11-3, but it was in game two that Renan Lavigne's flashes of brilliance truly shone. They weren't quite enough though, as a mere 44 minutes after they began, Matthew had his quarterfinal berth. The Frenchman may have lost the match, but he never gave up the fight, earning 9 and 8 points in the final games of the match.

A disappointed Lavigne shared post match, "I lacked confidence and Nick knew it. But I promise, I'll be back in Boston next year ... I've still yet to debut at Symphony."

Jenson makes White see black

In the first upset of the evening, world number 20, Dan Jenson, scooped 7th-ranked John White in his bid for the US Open title.

Jenson went up 4-1 in the first game, but White came right back and the score was pretty much even until Jenson pulled ahead 9-6. A stroke to White made it 9-7, but it was too little too late and Jenson took the game 11-7. In game two, Jenson's ability to retrieve the ball was definitely putting White on edge. The rangy Jenson brought the game to 9-all and eventually took it, bringing the score to 2 games to love.

The third and final game was a quick 11-1 win by Jenson, earning the awesome Aussie a berth in quarterfinal play.

Tired after the 39 minutes of play, but quite happy, Jenson shared, "Earlier in the year, I wasn't having the greatest of tournaments. But this past month it's all come together. I'm moving well, my body feels great and I'm getting results."

Kneipp slices through Elborolossy

Omar Elborolossy was sporting some pretty fancy footwear that might have helped his length, but nothing could beat Joe Kneipp's amazing speed and accuracy.

The 7th-ranked Aussie sliced and diced his way through three in just 32 minutes. He worked Elborolossy hard in the first, going up 10-6 before giving up a stroke at game point. But Kneipp finished the game in style with a cutting nick and a score of 11-7. The gracious correction of a stroke given to Kneipp by the refs [Kneipp declined, requesting 'just a let' instead] brought the score of the second game to 7-4, but Elborolossy just couldn't close the gap, dropping 11-4 and down 2 games to love. The third game was just eight minutes in duration, with a final score of 11-5.

Post match, Kneipp attributed his success to his technical game. He shared: "With my brother back at university, I've taken the great physical discipline he taught me and am now working with Rodney Martin on my technical game." He smiled, "I think it's working." Yes, Joe, it is ...

Ryding gallops into quarterfinal

In game one of the evening's second upset, Egypt's Amr Shabana had Graham Ryding of Canada digging deep in the corners for shots the would-be top-10 player just couldn't deliver. The 5th-ranked Shabana played with purpose and strength, taking the first game 11-6 despite involving himself in several arguments with the refs.

For game two, Ryding most definitely collected himself during the break and quickly came back to tie it up 1-all with an 11-1 pounding. In game three, Shabana still couldn't figure out what hit him and that lack of focus was evident.

At 7-all, a questionable call by the refs had both Ryding and Shabana up in arms. A let was settled upon with Ryding going on to take the game 11-8, and the lead, 2 games to 1.

It was live and let "let" as far as Shabana was concerned throughout the fourth and final game of the match. However dubious he considered the refs many calls in Ryding's favour, it cannot be denied that Graham played the better game.

After the 50-minute match, Ryding explained, "I'm playing some of my best squash and am quite confident. Regardless, I never really relaxed during the match, but I had a game plan, executed it and now I'm going to the quarterfinals." He concluded, "Yeah, I'm happy!"

En Franšais


Nick Matthew (Eng) bt
[Q] Renan Lavigne (Fra)
11-3, 11-9, 11-8 (44m)

[Q] Dan Jenson (Aus) bt
[5] John White (Sco)
11-7, 11-9, 11-1 (39m)

[8] Joseph Kneipp (Aus) bt
Omar Elborolossy (Egy)
11-7, 11-4, 11-5 (33m)

Graham Ryding (Can) bt
[6] Amr Shabana (Egy)
6-11, 11-1, 11-8, 11-8 (50m)







Squash @ Symphony Hall